KENNEDY SCHOOL OF GOVERNMENT, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
Harvard Executive Leadership Program, 1996
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA, St. Paul-Minneapolis, MN
PhD Geography/Applied Economics and Agriculture, 1989
HUMPHREY SCHOOL OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS, University of Minnesota
MA International Development and Foreign Affairs, 1986
UNIVERSITY OF SRI JAYEWARDENEPURA, Sri Lanka
BS Business Administration and Economics (First Class Honors), 1983
GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY, Fairfax, VA
Distinguished Senior Fellow, School of Public Policy, 2012-present
Adjunct Professor, Department of Geography and Geoinformation Science, 2011-present
Affiliate Professor, Department of Public and International Affairs, 2010-present
GUANGDONG UNIVERSITY OF FOREIGN STUDIES, Guangzhou, China
Distinguished Visiting Professor, Center for American Studies, 2011-present
Consulting Professor, Center for International Security and Strategic Studies, 2009-present
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE, Washington, DC
Commissioner, U.S. National Commission for UNESCO, 2012-present
U.S. Secretariat Director, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (former USIA), 2001-02
Vice Chairman, Secretary Colin Powell’s Open Forum, 2001-02
Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of Educational and Cultural Affairs, 2001-02
Lecturer, Economics and Diplomacy, George Shultz Institute of Foreign Service, 2000-02
Chairman, U.S. Government Interagency Policy Group on IPRs, 2000-01
Advisor, U.S. Delegations to the United Nations, 2000-01
Coordinator, White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, 2000-01
Foreign Affairs Officer, Bureau of Oceans, Int’l Environmental, and Scientific Affairs, 2000-01
Consultant, Bureau of Intelligence and Research, 1987
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, Washington, DC
Board Member, USDA Graduate School, 2002-08 (appointment by the Bush White House)
Lecturer in Economics, 2001-02
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY, Livermore, CA
Policy Advisor, Center for Global Security Research, Livermore National Lab, 2001-02
Consulting Economist, Center for Global Security Research, Livermore National Lab, 2002-04
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE – UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, Heidelberg, Germany
Professor of International Relations (Pacific Command), 1999-00
Graduate Residence Professor of Public Policy (NATO Command), 1997-99
U.S. SENATE FOREIGN RELATIONS COMMITTEE, Washington, DC
Staff Member, Office of Senator Rudy Boschwitz, 1985
Coordinator, White House and the State Department, 1985
MINNESOTA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES, St. Paul, MN
Staff Assistant, Office of Representative Jim Evans, 1984
Staff Assistant-Intern, Office of Chief Clerk Edward Burdick, 1984
NORWICH UNIVERSITY, Northfield, VT
Adjunct Online Professor, International Diplomacy Program, 2004-12
JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY, Washington, DC
Visiting Foreign Policy Scholar, Paul Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, 2008-10
Vice President, Robert Osgood Center for International Studies, 2007-10
GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY, Washington, DC
Adjunct professor, Department of Geography and International Relations, 2006-08
UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH, Pittsburgh, PA
Visiting Professor of Economics and Public Policy (Semester at Sea Program), spring 2004
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, College Park, MD
Visiting Professor of International Trade Policy, UMUC Graduate School, 2000-04
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, New York City, NY
Coolidge Research Fellow, Religion and Public Life, summer 1997
YALE UNIVERSITY, New Haven, CT
Visiting professor, The Global Studies Institute, summer 1997
Visiting professor, The UN Institute, summer 1996
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA, St. Paul-Minneapolis, MN
Lecturer in International Political Economy, Institute of International Studies, 1990-97
Visiting Scholar, Department of Applied Economics and Agriculture, 1990-97
Conference Director, Roy Wilkins Center for Human Relations and Social Justice, 1994-96
Founding Director, Center for Advanced Research and Language Acquisition, 1994-95
Conference Coordinator, World Academy of Art and Science, 1994
GENERAL SIR JOHN KOTELAWALA DEFENSE UNIVERSTIY Sri Lanka
Distinguished Guest Lecturer, summer 2012
BEIJING ADMINISTRATIVE COLLEGE, Beijing, China
Visiting Professor, summer 2011
NANJING UNIVERSITY – JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY, Nanjing, China
Guest Lecturer, summer 2010
POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES, Manila
Guest Lecturer, summer 2010
AMERICAN CENTER – U.S. EMBASSY, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Guest Lecturer, summer 2010
NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, Singapore
Advisor, Institute of South Asian Studies, 2010-present
CHINESE FOREIGN AFFAIRS UNIVERSITY – MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS, Beijing, China
Guest Lecturer, summer 2009
NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY, Xi’an, China
Visiting Professor, summer 2000
WORLD ACADEMY OF ART AND SCIENCE, Minneapolis, MN
Special Assistant to the President, Ambassador Harlan Cleveland, 1992-00
Delegate, The European Commission, Brussels, Belgium, summer 1999
SOCIETY FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT, Minnesota Chapter, Minneapolis
Founding President, 1992-97
UNITED NATIONS, New York
Chairman, UN World Youth Leadership Summit, 1995
UNITED NATIONS ASSOCIATION OF THE UNITED STATES, Minnesota Division
Vice President for Programs, 1994-97
Secretary to the Board, 1991-94
LENINGRAD STATE UNIVERSITY – KOLPINO BUSISNESS SCHOOL, Leningrad, Soviet Union
Visiting Lecturer of Economics and Management, MBA Program, summer 1991
MOSCOW STATE UNIVERSITY, Moscow, Soviet Union
Visiting Lecturer of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, summer 1991
WORLD BANK, Washington, DC
Consultant, Asia Technical Department, summers 1988-89
SRI LANKA MISSION TO THE UNITED NATIONS, New York
Youth Ambassador, UN International Year of the Youth, 1985
HUBERT HUMPHREY SCHOOL PUBLIC AFFAIRS, Minneapolis, MN
Established the annual Edward Burdick Legislative Award, 2012-present
EDUCATE LANKA FOUNDATION, Silver Spring, MD
Founding Advisor, 2006-present
TSUNAMI LEADERS CARING ‘TLC’ FOUNDATION, Bethesda, MD
Established 15 tsunami scholarships in Sri Lanka, 2005-present
Funded more than 100 Kiva micro-loans in over 30 countries, 2007-present
Instituted the Sarvodaya Peace Prize, Sri Lanka, 2006-10
SIR ARTHUR CLARKE CENTRE FOR MODERN TECHNOLOGIES, Sri Lanka
Endowed the annual Ambassador Harlan Cleveland Leadership Award, 1997-present
UNIVERSITY OF SRI JAYEWARDENEPURA, Sri Lanka
Endowed the annual Dr. Patrick Mendis Award in Leadership, 1993-present
Endowed the annual Dr. Patrick Mendis Award in Management Studies, 1993-present
SAINT PAUL FOUNDATION, St. Paul, MN
Founding Chairman, Asian-Pacific Endowment Diversity Fund, 1992-97
DAYTON HUDSON CORPORTATION, Minneapolis, MN
Senior Market Research Analyst, 1993
UNILEVER, Sri Lanka
Management Trainee, 1982-83
Books, Book Chapters, and Book Reviews
The Return of Jefferson to the Hamiltonian China: The Dragon Tail and the New Silk Route in the South China Sea and the Indian Ocean for a New World Order (a manuscript in progress)
Commercial Providence: The Secret Destiny of the American Empire (Foreword by Professor Stephen Trachtenberg, George Washington University), Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 2010.
Trade for Peace: How the DNA of America, Freemasonry, and Providence Created a New World Order with Nobody in Charge (Foreword by Professor Brian Atwood, University of Minnesota), Indianapolis, IN: iUniverse Press, 2009.
Human Side of Globalization: The Political Economy of Glocalization as If the Washington Consensus Mattered in Africa, Asia and the Americas, 3rd edition (Foreword by Sir Arthur Clarke), Dear Park, NY: Linus Publications, 2009.
Globalization: The Accelerating Movement of People, Capital and Ideas (eds.), New York: United Nations Association of the United States of America, 2008.
Public Policy Interventions, Market Economics, and Income Distribution, Holger Henke and Ian Boxill (eds.), The End of the Asian Model? Amsterdam: John Benjamin Publishing, 2000, 129-40.
Human Environment and Spatial Relationships in Agricultural Production (Foreword by Professor Harlan Cleveland, World Academy of Art and Science), New York: American University Study Series, Peter Lang, 1992.
Sri Lanka in Pictures, Minneapolis: Lerner Publishing, 1992.
Book Review: Project Design for Agricultural Development, (Eds. Nicholas Maddock and Frank A. Wilson, London: Ashgate Publishing, 1994) in Sustainable Development (Journal of University of Queensland, Australia), Vol. 3, 1995, pp. 51-52.
Book Review: The National Atlas of Sri Lanka, (Colombo: Survey Department of Sri Lanka, 1988) in The Professional Geographer (Association of American Geographers), October 1991, pp. 390-391.
Published Monographs by the University of Minnesota
Impact of Globalization: The Incidence of Poverty and Food Security Policies in Sri Lanka, St. Paul: University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics, 1997.
Capitalism in Human Scale: Are There “Virtuous Circles” in Economic Growth and Human Development in Achieving a NICs Status? St. Paul: University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics, 1995.
Buddhist Equilibrium: The Theory of Middle Path for Sustainable Development, St. Paul: University of Minnesota, Department of Agriculture and Applied Economics, 1993.
The Political Economy of Poverty Alleviation: Is Sri Lanka Really an Exception? St. Paul: University of Minnesota, Department of Agriculture and Applied Economics, 1992.
U.S.-India Civil Nuclear Cooperation Agreement (with Leah Green), Richard Weitz (ed.), Project on National Security Report: Case Studies, Washington, DC: Center for the Study of the Presidency, 2008, 173-318.
Department of State, Journal of Economic Perspectives: Achieving Sustainable Development (ed.), Washington, DC: Bureau of International Information Programs, 2002.
Department of State, Journal of Global Issues: Food Security and Safety (ed.), Washington, DC: Bureau of International Information Programs, 2002.
Department of State, Handbook on International Science and Technology Agreements, Washington, DC: Bureau of International Ocean, Environmental, and Scientific Affairs, 2001.
Department of State, Protecting Intellectual Property Rights Promotes Human Development in Developing Countries, A policy paper of the U.S. Government for the UN Development Program, June 2001.
Hamiltonian Means to Jeffersonian Ends: How the Trans-Pacific Partnership and the New Silk Road Will Transform Sino-U.S. Relations, Georgetown Journal of International Affairs (forthcoming).
The Sri Lankan Silk Road: The Potential War between China and the United States, Harvard International Review, Fall 2012, 54-58.
Destiny of the Pearl: How Sri Lanka’s Colombo Consensus Trumped Beijing and Washington in the Indian Ocean, Yale Journal of International Affairs, September 2012, 68-76.
Security for Sale: The Great Game of the U.S.-Indian Civil Nuclear Cooperation Treaty and Its Implications for China and Pakistan (with Leah Green), SAIS Bologna Center Journal of International Affairs, Spring 2012, Vol. 5, 46-59.
Government-wide Collaboration to Boost National Trade (with Leah Green), The Public Manager, Spring 2010, 43-47.
Chindia: Does Culture Matter in Hindu and Confucian Economies? (with Leah Green), Global Economic Review, Vol. 37, No. 4, December 2008, 429-446.
Confucian Economics at Work in Korean Unification, The SAIS Observer, Johns Hopkins University, Vol. 8, October 2007, 9-11.
New Multilateralism in Action for Peace: A Case Study of the U.S.-led Operation Unified Assistance in the Asian Tsunami Disaster, with U.S. Air Force Captain Jaime Alvarado, Global Economic Review, Vol. 36, June 2007, 183-92.
Evaluation of World Bank Policy Analysis: The East Asian Economic Miracle and Poverty Alleviation Policies in Sri Lanka, Whitehead Journal of Diplomacy and International Relations, Vol. 5, Winter/Spring 2006, 1-15.
Science, Technology, and Intellectual Property Rights in American Foreign Policy, Journal of Technology Law & Policy, Vol. 9, June 2004, 17-30.
Food Security, Subsidies, Energy, and the Environment, Energy & Environment, Vol. 12, 2001, 55-71.
Americanization of Globalization: Is the United States the Un-centralized World Power for Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness? The Public Manager, Vol. 34, Fall 2005, 3-8.
Chinese Renaissance Man is Touched by America’s Heartland, The Minnesota Post, November 8, 2012, online.
China-bashing Rhetoric Like Romney’s is Counterproductive, The Minnesota Post, October 23, 2012, online.
Religious Faith and Public Life: Reflections on Edward Burdick’s Life, The Minnesota Post, March 14, 2012, online.
All Politics is “Glocal,” The Daily Colonial, George Washington University, May 1, 2007, online.
Castroika: Cuba Continues Its Castro Legacy, The Minnesota Daily, University of Minnesota, April 2, 2007, print and online.
The Spirit of Leadership and Globalization could Defuse the Potential for a Clash of Civilizations, The Jordan Times, Tuesday, June 24, 1997, 6-7.
U.S.-U.N. Relations: Goal is a Free and Democratic World, The Washington Times, June 1, 2005, A17.
Brazil as an Emerging Global Power, Asian American Press, February 20, 2004, 1 and 9.
India’s Gift to the World: A Soft Superpower? Asian American Press, March 26, 2004, 1 and 9.
Clash of Cultures Between the East and the West, The Korea Times, July 15, 2000, 6.
In the Future, America’s Soul will be Its Most Potent Force, The Stars and Stripes (Sunday Magazine), January 10, 1999, 13.
(A complete list of over 100 publications and research papers is available upon request).
- Advisor, Harvard International Review, 2012-present
- Counselor, Harvard Kennedy School DC Alumni Council, 2010-present
- Advisor, Harvard Alumni Advisory Board, 2007-present
- Adviser, Global Studies Foundation, 2007-present
- Founding advisor, Educate Lanka Foundation, 2006-present
- Editorial Board Member, Public Manager, 2005-present
- Global Policy Mentor, Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs, 2004-present
- Advisor, Sarvodaya USA, 2005-present
- Director, Sri Lanka Wildlife Conservation Society, 2004-10
- Director, Bureaucrat Inc., Washington, DC, 2006-10
- Director, University of Minnesota Alumni Association, Washington, DC, 2006-10
- Editorial Board Member, Energy & Environment, 2000-06
- Advisor, Southeast Asian Leadership Program, Wilder Foundation, Minnesota, 1995-97
- Chairman, United Nations World Youth Leadership Conference, New York, 1995
- Director, University of Minnesota Alumni Association’s National Governing Board, 1994-97
- Trustee, Hubert Humphrey School Alumni Board, University of Minnesota, 1993-97
- Editorial Review Board, Sustainable Development, 1991-95
Honors and Awards
- Alumnus of Notable Achievement Award, University of Minnesota, 2013
- General Sir John Kotelawela Defense University Award, Sri Lanka, 2012
- Diplomatic and Friendship Award, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, China, 2011
- International Understanding Award, Polytechnic University of the Philippines, Manila, 2010
- Exceptional Achievement Award in International Diplomacy, Sri Lanka Foundation, California, 2008
- USDA Graduate School Outstanding Service Award, U.S. Department of Agriculture, 2007
- Distinguished Senior Fellow, Global Studies Foundation, 2007-present
- Fetzer Institute Fellowship in Public Leadership, Salzburg Seminar, 2003
- Who’s Who in the World, 2002-present
- Benjamin Franklin Award, U.S. Department of State, 2002
- Socrates Society Fellow, Aspen Institute, 2001
- Who’s Who in America, 2001-present
- Secretary’s Meritorious Honor Award, U.S. Department of State, 001
- Science and Diplomacy Fellowship, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2000
- Twenty-first Century Trust Fellowship at Oxford University’s Merton College, England, 2000
- White House Fellow (finalist), President’s Commission on White House Fellowships, 1999
- Stanley Drazek Teaching Excellence Award, University of Maryland, 1999
- United Nations University Scholarship, UN International Leadership Institute, 1997
- Coolidge Research Fellowship in Religion and Public Life, Columbia University, 1997
- Harvard Leadership Scholarship, Harvard Kennedy School of Government, 1996
- Harold Stassen Award for the United Nations Affairs, Harold E. Stassen Foundation, 1996
- Sasakawa Fellowship in East Asian Studies, Salzburg Seminar, 1996
- Twin Cities International Citizen Award (finalist twice), Minneapolis, 1995 and 1996
- Aspen Global Leadership Fellowship, Aspen Institute-University of St. Thomas, 1994
- Outstanding Teaching Award (finalist), College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota, 1994
- Minnesota Governor’s Asian Pacific Heritage Award for Education and Leadership, 1994
- Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Award (nominated), American Ag Economics Association, 1990
- Institute of International Education Fellowship, Colorado College, 1989
- President’s Outstanding Leadership and Service Award, University of Minnesota, 1988
- MacMillan Doctoral Research Award, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota, 1988
- Who’s Who Among American Universities and Colleges, 1987
- Hubert Humphrey Alumni Award for Outstanding Leadership, Humphrey School of Public Affairs, 1986
- United Nations Medal for the International Year of the Youth, UN Secretariat, 1985
- Minnesota Governor’s Certificate of Honorary Citizenship, Office of the Gov. Rudy Perpich, 1984
- Member, Harvard Club of Washington DC, 2007-present
- Member, International Institute for Strategic Studies, 2002
- Fellow, Socrates Society of the Aspen Institute, 2001
- Fellow, World Academy of Art and Science, 1994-present
- Member, Council on Foreign Relations (nominated), New York
- Member, Council on Foreign Relations (St. Paul-Minneapolis Committee), 1994-present
- Life member, Society for International Development, 1990-present
TRAVEL: Traveled, lived, and worked in more than 100 countries, and visited all 50 states.